- 2 cups (500 ml) Silk Hazelnut Almond Coffee Whitener
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 6 oz (190 ml) brewed coffee
- 2/3 (170 ml) cup canola oil
- 6 oz (190 ml) unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 1/2 cups (300 g) flour
- 1 1/2 cups (300 g) sugar
- 1 cup (110 g) cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (3 ml) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- Toasted nuts, for serving
- 1/2 cup margarine (112 g), room temperature
- 1/2 cup (112 g)non-hydrogenated shortening
- 3 1/2 cups (525 g) powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) Silk Hazelnut Almond Coffee Whitener
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) hazelnut extract
- 1/2 cup (50 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- Prepare cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Prepare a 1/2 sheet pan/jelly roll pan by lining with parchment paper.
- In a glass, combine Silk and apple cider vinegar. Let set for 3-5 minutes to create vegan “buttermilk.”
- Once mixture is ready, combine with coffee, oil and applesauce.
- In separate bowl, combine and whisk flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir until just combined and smooth.
- Pour batter onto parchment-lined tray, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until springy to touch and cake tester comes out clean. Let cool to room temperature before filling.
- Prepare frosting
- Meanwhile, in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine margarine, shortening, sugar, Silk and extract, mixing until smooth.
- Set aside 1/2 of frosting in a bowl (this will go inside cake).
- Add cocoa powder to remaining half of frosting and mix until combined (this will go on top of cake).
- Assemble cake
- Once cake has cooled, remove from sheet pan and place on a flat surface, making sure parchment is still on.
- Using half of frosting (without cocoa powder) and an off-set spatula, spread frosting evenly over surface of cake.
- Starting at short side of cake, using parchment to assist, roll cake into “log.” Chill in refrigerator for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from refrigerator and trim ends of cake.
- With remaining chocolate frosting, frost outside of cake, then chill for an additional 20-30 minutes.
- Decorate with toasted nuts and serve.