1 hr 30 min
- 4-5 large russet potatoes, peeled (if desired) and thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- 4 Tbsp margarine (or butter)
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups Silk Unsweetened Almond or Cashew Beverage
- 1 tsp each finely chopped parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 Tbsp margarine (or butter), melted
- 3/4 cup panko crumbs
- Prepare potatoes
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Thinly slice potatoes with a mandolin or slicer and spread in a lightly greased 13 x 9" pan or 2-quart casserole dish.
- Melt margarine in a large saucepan.
- Add onions and sauté over medium heat until soft and translucent, 7-9 minutes.
- Sprinkle with flour and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add Silk and cook, stirring often, until mixture comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Add herbs, salt and pepper and cook another minute.
- Pour over potatoes and mix, coating each slice.
- Prepare topping
- Combine butter and panko crumbs, then sprinkle over potatoes.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, until potatoes are tender and casserole is browned and bubbling.
- NOTE: For cheesy potatoes, sprinkle 1 cup shredded regular or dairy-free cheddar cheese halfway through casserole and top with another cup of cheese.