- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cups Silk Unsweetened Almond or Cashew Beverage
- 4 cups cubed butternut squash, about 1 medium squash
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dry mustard, optional
- 1 lb macaroni, cavatappi or bowtie pasta
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar or dairy-free cheddar or mozzarella shreds, if desired
- Heat olive oil over medium-low heat and sauté onion until caramelized, about 10 minutes.
- Add Silk, scraping bottom of pan to get all the browned bits.
- Add squash, garlic, salt and pepper and simmer until squash is fork-tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cool slightly and pour into food processor or high-power blender, blending until smooth.
- Return to pan, cover and keep warm over low heat.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, then drain and add to sauce.
- Add cheese, heat and stir just to melt. Spoon into bowls and serve.