+ 60 min baking
- 1 cup (250 ml) dried tart cherries
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Silk soy, almond or coconut beverage, any flavour except chocolate
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) amaretto
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) margarine* (or butter)
- 1 cup (250 ml) sugar
- 3 eggs*
- 1 1/2 cup (350 ml) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1 cup (250 ml) chopped pecans
- 5 Tbsp (75 ml) granulated sugar
- 6 Tbsp (90 ml) amaretto
*For a vegan version, use vegan margarine and substitute each egg with 1 Tbsp (15 ml) golden flax meal soaked in 3 Tbsp (45 ml) warm water.
- In a small bowl, combine cherries, Silk and amaretto. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Coat a 20x10 cm (9" x 5") loaf pan or 4 mini loaf pans with cooking spray.
- Cream margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, scraping bowl after each addition.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt and fold into batter, mixing just to combine.
- Add cherry mixture and nuts.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for one hour or until a tester inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Prepare glaze by combining sugar and amaretto. Let stand until sugar dissolves.
- Using a fork or skewer, poke holes in warm bread, then pour glaze over top and down sides.